A version of this post previously appeared on Mommy Nearest, where I am an Expert Mom.
After being cooped up inside all winter, it’s hard to imagine wanting to spend a minute of summer indoors. But when the temperature and humidity rise, you and the kids will be thrilled to spend a couple of hours inside a dark, air-conditioned theater. With that in mind, we rounded up theaters near Chicago that offer summer movie programs (read: kid-friendly flicks at discounted prices!) for families.
Admission for each movie is $1. Purchase a bundle of tickets to see 10 movies for only $5.
Print out the coupon available on any of the location sites to receive $1 off of a movie snack pack.
Locations & movie schedule:
One movie played each week in this order: Epic, The Croods, Turbo, Smurfs 2, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, Walking With Dinosaurs, The LEGO Movie, Rio 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Alvin & the Chipmunks
- Bourbonnais, Cinemark Movies 10 – Tuesdays at 10:00 am
- Deer Park, Century 16 Deer Park – Wednesdays at 10:00 am
- Evanston, Century 12 Evanston/CinéArts 6 & XD – Tuesdays & Wednesdays at 10:00 am
- Melrose Park, Cinemark Melrose Park – Tuesdays at 10:00 am
One movie played each week in this order: Ice Age: The Meltdown, Epic, The Croods, Turbo, Smurfs 2, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2, Walking With Dinosaurs, The LEGO Movie, Rio 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman.
- Joliet, Cinemark Movies 10 – Tuesdays at 10:00 am beginning 6/10
- North Aurora, Cinemark Tinseltown USA – Tuesdays at 10:00 am beginning 6/10
- Woodridge, Cinemark @ Seven Bridges & IMAX – Tuesdays at 10:00 am beginning 6/10
Admission is $1 per person.
Arrive at 9:00 am to meet characters and for games and activities. All movies start at 10:00 am.
Locations: Carpentersville, Downers Grove, Elk Grove Village, Elmhurst, Fox Lake, Freeport, Kankakee, Naperville, North Riverside, Oak Park, St. Charles, & Woodstock
- June 11 – Despicable Me 2
- June 18 – Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2
- June 25 – Turbo
- July 2 – The Muppets Take Manhattan
- July 9 – The Nut Job
- July 16 – The Smurfs 2
- July 23 – Free Birds
- July 30 – The LEGO Movie
- August 6 – Surprise G-rated movie
Admission is $2 per person. Popcorn is $2.50 and fountain drinks are $2.50.
Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays at 10:00 am
Locations: Addison, Chicago Heights, Elgin, Gurnee, and Orland Park
- June 15, 16, 18 – The LEGO Movie
- June 22, 23, 25 – The Nut Job
- June 29. 30, July 2 – Despicable Me 2
- July 13, 14, 16 – Turbo
- July 20, 21, 23 – Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
- July 27, 28, 30 – The Croods
- August 3, 4, 6 – Mr. Peabody & Sherman
- August 10, 11, 13 – Rio 2
Admission is $1 per person and a portion of the proceeds goes to the Will Rogers Institute.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:00 am.
Begins June 3 in Moline, June 10 in Crystal Lake, Moline & Warrenville, and June 17 in Round Lake Beach.
Locations: Chicago, Crystal Lake, Moline, Round Lake Beach, Warrenville
- Week 1: Hotel Transylvania & The Smurfs 2
- Week 2: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 & The Pirates: Band of Misfits
- Week 3: Arthur Christmas & Despicable Me 2
- Week 4: The LEGO Movie & Free Birds
- Week 5: The Adventures of Tintin & Rise of the Guardians
- Week 6: Kung Fu Panda 2 & Madagascar 3
- Week 7: The Croods & Epic
- Week 8: Turbo & Walking with Dinosaurs
- Week 9: Peabody & Mr. Sherman & Rio 2
$2 per person.
Monday through Friday at 11:00 am
- May 26-30 – Robots
- June 2-5 – Horton Hears a Who
- June 9-13 – Ice Age 4: Continental Drift
- June 16-20 – The Croods
- June 23-27 – Epic
- June 30-July 4 – Turbo
- July 7-11 – Rio
- July 14-18 – Shrek Forever After
- July 21-25 – Charlotte’s Web
- July 28-August 1 – Kung Fu Panda 2
- August 4-8 – Puss in Boots
- August 11-15 – Madagascar 3
- August 18-22 – Rugrats Movie
Special Needs Screenings
Movies are offered on a monthly basis on Saturdays at 10:00 am. Lights are up, sound is down, and audience members are invited to walk, dance, sing, or shout.
Locations: Chicago, Hobart, Lake in the Hills, Michigan City, Naperville, Niles, Northbrook Court, Schererville, South Barrington, Village Crossing, Yorktown
- June 21 – How to Train Your Dragon
- July 26 – Planes: Fire & Rescue
- September 27 – Dolphin Tale 2
- October 25 – Book of Life
- November 29 – Home
- December 13 – Paddington
One Saturday each month at 10:30 am a select first run movie is run with families of children with special needs in mind. Lights are up and sound is lower than normal. Regular matinee pricing applies.
Special Needs Screenings are free for children with special needs and their siblings; adults are $6. Lights are up, sound is down, and children are free to move around, talk, or dance in the aisles during the movie.
See website for movies, dates, and times.