Governor Rauner has declared May 4-10, 2015, “Science Detectives Week” to kick off a STEM-education movement taking place in Chicagoland in June. Moochie Kalala Detectives Club, a Chicago-made show about two young investigators visiting local museums and talking to Chicago scientists, to celebrate!
With their presenting partner Subway, Moochie Kalala’s Detectives Club will be “fueling the ‘science detective’ rocket” that will bring science events to schools across the region, science grants to local teachers, and free science activities to parents and classrooms.
Here are fun ways you can celebrate science during (and after!) Science Detective Week:
1. Watch Moochie Kalala Detective Club
Episodes of Moochie Kalala Detectives Club aired on WTTW Channel 11, but you can rent or purchase episodes on Vimeo on Demand. This week’s special 99 cent download is APES! This Lincoln Park Zoo episode features Chimpanzees and Gorillas, and Primatologist Steve Ross.
2. Try a fun experiment at home
Here’s an amazing at-home science experiment from Nancy B. Thanks to Educational Insights for the cool video! Check out this egg-cellent demonstration about air pressure. Take a crack at this egg-in-a-bottle science experiment:
You can find more fun experiments to do at home on the Moochie Kalala site: http://www.moochiekalala.com/fun-for-kids/
3. Visit the Frank Lloyd Wright Museum at a discounted rate
The Frank Lloyd Wright Museum is one of 6 museums featured on Moochie Kalala Detectives Club, and they’re offering 1,000 two-for-one tickets on Mondays through June 30, 2015, to their Self-Guided Historic Neighborhood Walking Tour around Oak Park, home of the world’s largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings. Use code moochie and purchase tickets by calling 312-994-4000 or online at flwright.org.
4. Visit Whole Foods for museum passes and free episode downloads
Whole Foods Markets in Chicago will be giving away free children’s passes to museums seen on Moochie Kalala Detectives Club and free episode downloads. Visit stores for details.
5. Enter to win a Moochie Kalala prize pack right here!
Moochie Kalala is offering a special prize pack to one of my readers. The Moochie Kalala Prize Pack includes:
- a Moochie Kalala Detectives Club DVD (season 1)
- a Moochie Kalala badge, and
- the winners choice of one of these Nancy B’s Science Club toys from Educational Insights:
- Nancy B’s Science Club Stir-It-Up Chemistry Lab & Kitchen Experiments Journal – Perfect for STEM learning at home, junior chemists can safely explore simple scientific principles including extinguishing a flame with invisible gas; making their own bubbling “lava” in a bottle; and more. Includes a 22-page activity journal packed with kitchen chemistry.
- Nancy B’s Science Club Black Light Illuminator & Nature’s Mysteries Journal – Find and observe rocks, insects, and flowers that glow under black light; learn about counterfeit money detection; and more. Includes a 22-page activity journal and invisible ink pen to write secret messages.