The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago will kick off its annual Black Creativity program with a Family Day on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day—Monday, January 18, 2016. This annual program brings together students, families, teachers and the public to explore the rich contributions African Americans have made to scientific and creative fields. The program focuses on innovation and encourages deeper interest in science and technology among youth.
The Family Day on January 18 includes:
- Free Museum Entry for Illinois residents
- Jr. Science Cafes, where students and families are able to chat with working science professionals and do hands-on activities to learn more about careers STEM fields. These sessions will take place at 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m.
- Facilitated workshops hourly from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Innovation Studio, an area in which youth are provided real tools, materials and equipment to create solutions to everyday challenges.
- The Black Creativity Juried Art Exhibition, which features more than 100 dynamic art works from both professional and amateur African-American artists from around the country.
Additional Black Creativity program offerings in January and February (Black History Month) include:
- Public sessions in the Innovation Studio Mondays through Saturdays, January 18 through February 27. Facilitated workshops are offered hourly from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Black Creativity Juried Art Exhibition, January 18 through February 21. This longest running exhibition of African-American art has been displayed annually at MSI since 1970. The exhibition features paintings, drawings, fine art prints, sculpture, mixed-media, ceramics and photography by African-Americans artists from around the country, as well as a youth category which features work by area high school artists.
- Family Day: Monday, January 18
- Innovation Studio: Mondays through Saturdays January 18 – February 27. Facilitated workshops held hourly from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Juried Art Exhibition: January 18 – February 21, open during regular Museum hours of 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
COST: These programs are all included in Museum Entry. Museum Entry is free for Illinois residents on weekdays through January 29.
WHERE: Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive