We’ve been Netflix subscribers for a long time, and I mean a LONG time; for years we got our Netflix fix from DVDs mailed in those red envelopes. We’ve been subscribers for so long because Netflix has never failed to entertain us. It continues to entertain us (now that “us” is me, John, and three kids), but we’re constantly learning things from Netflix too.
Campbell is obsessed with Little Einsteins and I love it. Not only does it keep him busy when I’m trying to get work done, but it’s a show I don’t mind watching with him, even if we’ve already seen the episode once, twice, or a zillions times before. Little Einsteins introduce kids to classical music and art and it amazes me how often Campbell or one of the other kids recognizes a piece of music or art because of Little Einsteins.
And Little Einsteins isn’t the only educational show.
We’ve been watching Brain Games together as a family. Cooper in particular in interested in it and he loves learning about how the human brain works. We’ve seen episodes that explain how optical illusions mislead us, weaknesses in our memory, and the paradox of choice. It’s really fascinating and has caused Cooper to do some experiments on his own to learn more.
A brand new Netflix original show called Word Party just started this month and it looks great for preschoolers. The show was inspired by the Thirty Million Words Initiative that helps to build preschoolers’ vocabulary. Campbell will be starting preschool this month (sobs!) but he’ll only be going a few hours a week. I know he’ll learn a ton at school, but I’m looking forward to watching Word Party with him when he’s home and I think it will help reinforce what he’s learning there.
New on Netflix for Kids, Tweens, Teens, and Families
- Popples: Season 3
- Hey Arnold! The Movie
- Lego Bionicle: The Journey to One: Season 2
- Home Adventures with Tip & Oh
And, here’s some other really awesome Netflix news:
- Netflix is releasing a variety of new preschool titles this year such as Kazoops, Ask The Storybots and Julie’s Greenroom.
- Beat Bugs premieres August 3 and Aloe Blacc, Robbie Williams, Frances and The Lumineers will join the rest of their singing talent and they’ll introduce Beatles classics to a new generation. Covers by Rod Stewart, Jennifer Hudson and Tori Kelly will be featured in Season 2, coming this November.
- Want more music? A Motown animated series coming soon to Netflix! Although the show doesn’t have a title yet, it’s from the creators of Beat Bugs and it’ll feature a contemporary take on Motown classics. Smokey Robinson is the Executive Music Producer, and the show will bring 52 Motown songs to life, including those made famous by Robinson, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5, Lionel Richie, The Supremes, The Temptations and Stevie Wonder.
- The news everyone has been waiting for – Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is coming to Netflix on November 25.
What have you or your kids learned from Netflix?